Monday, September 6, 2010

Academic Blog Mk 4: One Second Photo

Here on the interblag we tend to (as producers of content) create very important online identities. I think anyone who has ever been on a chat room or forum can clearly see the alter egos some people portray on the web. Anyone can say they are...well anyone. This is why so many celebritiy twitter accounts seek some sort of vaildation. I remember in the glory days of myspace, high school students would make up fake profiles of teachers to slander them (and im sure people still do that on facebook). But that said, it is easy to pretend to be someone else on the internet but how do you communicate who you are in the real world?

Just signing up to a facebook account we asked to basically define who we are in a short amount of space and in most cases that definition comes via a profile picture.

However this "Definition" of ourselves is usually altered or at least manipulated in some way to present the most attractive view possible. BBC News reported a study contducted on Facebook porfile pictures and found some very interesting results you can read on the link. One being that men were 50% more likely than women to have their profile photo retouched. I can't be the only one who finds that suprising?

When I look at my own choices though at what I choose to display on public profiles, I can't pretend they are not carefully chosen to present me in a good light. I'm fairly certain most people would find the same. But is the carefully selected photo of ourselves really who we are or just what we think other people would like to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment